Pete's Gun Shop began as a hobby in 1956, run by it's founder, Peter Decker, out of the front office of his family business (Decker's Cleaners and Dyers) on 31 Colombia Street in Adams, MA. The gun business grew by leaps and bounds, and eventually eclipsed the cleaning business in scope. The cleaning business was eventually downsized, and the gun business became the main concern.
In 1983, the former building was remodeled with a concentration toward allowing more space for guns. In 1992, following the death of Pete's wife Elinor, the cleaning business onsite was closed and any cleaning was farmed out to a subcontractor. In the late 90's, while demolishing an electrical substation next to the former cleaners, National Grid found the presence of severe pollution dating back to the existence of a co-generation facility run there about 100 years previously. Negotiations were entered to try to clean up the pollution which was present beneath the building.